Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Why women shouldn't drive

A 16-year-old girl who had a legal learner's permit was doing what teenagers everywhere do: practicing parallel parking with her mother. But something went terribly wrong.

The Associated Press reports that the mother, Ryta Z. Deriso, and her daughter had set up cones on a quiet street near their home in Marlboro, N.J. to practice parking. The girl was backing up the car when she pressed the accelerator too hard, causing the car to jump up onto the curb and hit her mother who was standing there watching her daughter. Deriso, 44, was pronounced dead last Thursday. The girl's name is not being released since she is a juvenile. No charges will be filed, Robert A. Honecker Jr., a Monmouth County prosecutor, told AP. "This is going down as a tragic accident," he said.

A similar freak accident occurred days later in Philadelphia when a 15-year-old girl, who did not have a learner's permit, was getting a driving lesson from her father in a parking lot on Sunday afternoon. The Philadelphia Daily News reports that she mixed up the gas and brake pedals and lost control of the car, which crashed into a front yard and killed a young mother. The vehicle narrowly missed the mother's 1-year-old baby. Sarah McGinley, 18, had been playing with her daughter outside when the accident occurred. An eyewitness described the incident, saying he saw the car "flying through the air." McGinley managed to toss her baby to safety in nearby bushes, but she was unable to save herself. The car struck her and trapped her beneath it. About a dozen men in the neighborhood rushed to the accident scene and lifted the car off McGinley, but she died about three hours later. So far no charges have been filed against the teenager or her father.

How can shit like this possibly happen? Mind boggling. YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP (inside joke). If you can't figure out which pedal is the brake and which is the gas, you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car. Even if they don't get these kids on manslaughter, they should at least get them for being so goddamn stupid. If you kill someone with a car, purposefully or not, you should never be able to drive ever again. Not even a Power Wheels car. This is exactly why I'm never having kids. One of those little bastards will end up killing me. I say that you should not be able to have a driver's license until you're 35. If you can't be president, you can't drive. That's the way I see it. And once you turn 65, it gets taken away. After that, it's too much of a risk to humanity to have your old bones behind the wheel. You could drop your dentures and take out a town.

14 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

I think women should never drive no matter what age they are. Or if they are driving they should have their own road to drive on so they don't annoy the rest of us. I'm a woman, and since I'm the biggest hypocrite ever, I can say that I'm the only woman that drives like a person should. I also think that teenage boys with their stupid little cars that they've put three times the money its worth into just to make it sound annoying and look shiny should never, ever be aloud to drive. Even worse is seeing a girl drive a car like that. You might as well just pull over until she crashes and then drive away with a smile on your face.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Amy S. Petrik said...

I disagree with you both. I am an excellent driver. So are my mom and sister and many of my female friends. It's a sad tragedy what happened but to say that no woman should ever drive is insane. Three of my friends were killed by boy teenagers. So....

5:21 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

I would think that you've read enough of my blog to realize that essentially everything I say on here is in jest. I also said every person in the country should be named Rathbone.

5:49 PM  
Blogger dwhit said...

Your posts have been in jest!?! Really? And to think me and my newborn, Rathbone were planning to attend your State of The House Address! Now I don't know what to believe!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Dude, get with the program. That State of the House address was over a month ago.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

Since the State of the House address is over, can you tell me when it will be rebroadcast on CSPAN-2?
Also, can we expect a State of the Blog address? How about a State of the Car address?
As far as women drivers, I'm not gender biased, I'm a state bigot.
After spending the weekend in San Diego, I'm convinced that NOBODY from California should be allowed to operate a motor vehicle. Even bicycles with training wheels might be beyond their collective capability.
Skateboards, I think, may be their only hope.

*Morris Workman
www.morrisworkman.com
workmanchronicles.blogspot.com
dvtsports.blogspot.com

3:31 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

Up here in extreme Northeast Ohio some Ohioans refer to Pennsylvania drivers as "hedgehogs" and feel they should not be allowed to drive.

My parents took me to the church parking lot to practice driving. It was much safer than a real street and if I hit the church only God would be hurt. But Brad is a Jehovah's Witness and doesn't believe in God so maybe you think it would not hurt God, right Brader?

11:49 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

No, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness, but yes, I don't believe in god. I'm thinking about making a blog for my feelings about the whole religion thing, because that clearly wouldn't be appropriate for this blog. But Luker, you can ram all the churches you want.

12:11 PM  
Blogger dwhit said...

And by ram, he means "ram".

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact, Jehovah's Witnesses DO believe in God. Just not Birthdays. For more info go here http://www.watchtower.org/ You can read cool articles like "The Piano, a One Man Orchestra," "Are humans just higher animals?" "Quality Alternatives to Transfusion" and more boring articles.

I did some digging, and it appears that Jehovah's Witnesses believe that people both alive and DEAD can LIVE on earth forever. They also think that Jebus isn't as good as Jehovah (god), only 144,000 people are ever going to heaven (so stop trying), no drinking blood, Christ died on a torture stake not a cross (vampire?), in 1914 Chris came back as an invisible man and fought Satan in a battle and that's when heaven was made, so yeah, that doesn't sound like Brad.

1:32 PM  
Blogger dwhit said...

Yeah. That Chris was one bad dude!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

Whoa.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa is my friend.. the stories posted were wrong. I went to the scene and the funeral. I remember it perfectly because it was the day before the junior cruise. Btw, I drive awesome.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

And you write awesome as well.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home